Rules and Regulations for use of Borough Parks
§ 101. Definitions and Word Usage. The following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
BOROUGH — The Borough of Palmyra, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.
BOROUGH COUNCIL — The Council of the Borough or its designee.
BOROUGH PARK — Any Borough owned or leased property, facility, or open space used primarily for recreation including, but not limited to, the Fireman's Park, Heritage Park and Southeast Family Park and any future lands owned or leased by the Borough for park and recreation purposes.
PERSON — Any individual, corporation, association, partnership, firm, trust, estate or legal entity whatsoever which is recognized by the laws as the subject of rights and duties and the officers of such corporation and the members of such partnership or association.
As used in this Part, words expressed in the singular include their plural meaning, and words expressed in the plural include their singular meaning. Words in the masculine gender include the feminine gender and neuter.
§ 102. Regulations for Conduct of Persons within Borough Parks. From and after the enactment of this Part, the following activities shall be prohibited by all persons using any facilities of the Borough or being upon any Borough Park:
1. Disorderly conduct and the use of profane language.
2. The consumption or possession of alcoholic beverage.
3. Golfing and/or the use of golf equipment.
4. Cooking or open fires of any type except in permitted facilities or areas specially designated for that purpose.
5. Littering. Disposal of trash or recyclables is restricted to the containers provided.
6. Removal or tampering of any vegetation or any park property.
7. Horseback riding.
8. Hunting, trapping or the possession hunting equipment other than firearms.
9. Soliciting or distributing handbills; provided, however, that activities protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and the Pennsylvania Constitution shall not be prohibited by this provision and provided that any person so protected seeking to distribute handbills shall remove all litter which may result from persons refusing or discarding such handbills.
10. Abuse or mis-use of athletic fields and surfaces.
11. Ice skating, swimming or wading at Southeast Family Park.
12. Use of glass containers.
13. Skateboarding or roller activity.
14. The feeding of wildlife.
15. Discharge of any firearms as that term is defined by §6120 (b) of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act except for the justifiable use of force as authorized by Chapter 5 of the Pennsylvania Crimes Code.
16. Use or possession of any bow and arrow, sling shot, air rifle or any other device (other than firearms as defined above) capable of throwing any projectile of any sort, including the hand throwing of rocks or stones intended to be used as weapons.
§ 103. Regulations for Motor Vehicles. From and after the enactment of this Part, the following regulations governing motor vehicles shall be in effect for all persons using any facilities of the Borough or being upon any Borough park:
1. The operation of licensed motor vehicles is restricted to roads and parking areas only.
2. Operation of any other motor vehicles, such as mini-bikes, and/or off-road vehicles is prohibited.
3. Vehicles shall park in only designated parking spaces, as designated by signs and/or parking bollards.
4. The motor vehicle speed limit, except as otherwise posted; shall be five (5) miles per hour.
5. Washing, waxing, or any type of mechanical repairs to vehicles while in any Borough Park is not permitted.
§ 104. Restrictions on Pets. From and after the enactment of this Part, the following regulations shall be in effect for all persons bringing any animals onto any facilities of the Borough or any Borough park:
1. Pets are permitted in parks provided they are on a leash, attended to and under their owner's control at all times.
2. Pets shall be kept off athletic fields and playgrounds.
3. Owners shall clean up all waste from their pets.
§ 105. Activities Permitted Only with Prior Authorization. No commercial or promotional activities are permitted in Borough parks without the expressed written consent of Borough Council.
§ 106. Hours of Operation. The following activities are permitted within a Borough Park only with express prior authorization from Borough Council.
1. All Borough parks are closed sunset to sunrise except December 15 to March 15, when Southeast Family Park shall be open until 8:00 p. m. for sledding, cross country skiing, and other winter sports.
2. In the event of hazardous conditions endangering life or property, any Borough Park may be Closed at the discretion of Borough management or a duly authorized agent.
§107. Scheduling of Borough Park Facilities.
1. Scheduled use of park facilities for all organized group instruction, exhibition, practice, competition, and demonstration events requires prior application approval from the Borough.
2. The Borough reserves the right to deny an application for park usage, If In the opinion of the Borough, the health, safety and welfare of the public is endangered.
§108. Penalties. Any person convicted of a violation of any of the provisions of this Part shall, upon conviction thereof, before a district justice, be sentenced to pay a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $600.00 and the cost of prosecution for each and every offense, plus the cost of all damages inflicted upon Borough Park.